Sheff

Sheff
Sheff

Monday, June 26, 2006

That Explains It! June 14, 2006

Okay, heres the explanation for my California trip and the family situation. My parents divorced when I was very young, so young in fact that I have no memories of my father at all. As a screwed up adult in therapy it was suggested that I explore my background, family ECT. I claimed to have no desire to do so which caused my doctor to give me that liar, liar pants on fire look that therapist are famous for giving. Long story short, I managed having a six-year correspondence with my paternal grandmother. Grandma invited me to her anniversary party/ family reunion in New York. I went under the very false assumption that everyone in the family was aware that I was coming and they all knew about me. It turns out that I am the surprise guest. This wasnt painful or awkward for anyone involved especially my father, his wife, and my half sister that I had never met. God rest her soul, Grandma Jacobson what a card. I guess she assumed people would back out if they knew the truth and she thought it was high time we fixed the family. It all went amazingly well and the years (less than 10) that have followed have been wonderfully healing for all of us.
Fast forward to the California trip and my reasons for going, 1) Step mothers retirement party. 2) Bulldozing of half sisters family home (soon). 3) Bonding time with sister sans spouse and children. 4) Bonding time with father. 5) Introduction to father and step moms colleagues and friends (priceless). Thank you manufacturer of Zoloft (for me) and Zanax (for sis); hence the title of our little trip, The Festival of Pain Tour 2006. Yeah, I slept great, no pressure, double my dosage, sure why not, more wine. Good times, good times. I plan on blogging a day-by-day account of my adventures. Some bizarre things happened out there. I write fiction but honest to Pete I couldnt make this shit up. Im not that creative. Stay tuned.
P.S. Dad, I know youre reading this and I promise not to write anything too embarrassing. Hey what could be worse than that friend of yours coming up to me and saying, Ive known your father for blah, blah years, to which I replied, Really, thats longer than Ive known him.
Gee, I hope thats not true.
Unfortunately it is true, you and I replied in unison, laughing.
Poor man got the funniest look on his face and just walked away. You and I laughed harder. I guess theres a lot to be said for genetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment